Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Digital Safety

To know that every move you make on the internet is pretty scary. Not for me since I never visit any dodgy websites or make stupid posts on Facebook after a big night out.. but I'm sure for most normal people this could be a bit of a concern. What's even more concerning to me is that all this knowledge is contained in the hands of a small number of large corporations. I mean when did we think that would be a good idea, lets let that happen? Everyone's information in the hands of a small number of computer geeks is not a good idea people. Google is watching you! Sorry Google if you are watching this - I take back that last comment. Monopolisation of information and your impending world domination is totally cool!
But really, what's the big deal? As long as you behave yourself, be careful and profess your undying love for Google you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Given that some of our students will be involved in some form of online networking from as soon as they enter school, I think it is important that we are educating them on web safety and the public nature of it from early on. Just as children will be developing their social skills and behaviours in the playground they will also be developing online skills and behaviours that we will need to nurture.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Phil

    I agree with you and the principle "you have no privacy, get over it". Why do people need to be precious and "special"?

    The more we actually know about each other, the more we are open and honest with each other. The more we learn about consequences too. I am also a believer that time heals most things...althought I am not sure it this will apply to Troy Buswell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transparency certainly has advantages - though it can have some disadvantages too if information is taken out of context. Still, I'm not sure there's a lot of choice here; I think we probably need to learn how to live with the public nature of our online networking and make the most of the advantages it can bring while remaining fully aware of its potential dangers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still, maybe, enjoy a high level of provacy compared to others as I am not on any social networking sites. Not out of fear of losing my privacy but because I really can't be bothered. However, I think your point about teaching students about digital safety alongside teaching our students about safety in the playground is great. We will need to guide students through this new sphere, as if we were going to another country, and work with students to develop startgies about how to del with different situations that may arise. As such I may well need to start social networking in the digital world so I can speak from experience. I think we will face larger challenges with the already tech-comfy students, from who you may get a lot of eye rolling (I speak from experience).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good point, Meredith. Having some experience of the tools you're discussing with students will obviously give you a lot more to say, but it will also give you a lot more credibility in students' eyes.

    ReplyDelete